MASTER CLASSES AGES 13-18
Monday – Friday
9:00AM – 3:30PM
The Phoenix Theatre Company is invested in creating future artists. Our Master Classes are for the serious-minded students who want to learn about the industry and dive deeper into their craft. Class size is very limited to enhance the experience of our various offerings. Early registration is highly encouraged. Registration for camp includes one camp t-shirt per camper.
JUNE 7-11, JULY 5-9
Monday – Friday 9:00AM – 3:30PM $225
Camera Ready! is offering two separate sessions this summer as well as virtual options. This class is a student favorite and focuses on all the skills needed to be successful in the performing arts: improvisation, public speaking, body language, memorization techniques, and more. Students learn how to get a talent agent, develop audition techniques, and better understand the business of TV, film, and stage. They share what they have learned on the last day of class with invited family and friends in a streamed sharing.
See Next Stages for virtual options of on camera courses!
JULY 19 - JULY 30
Monday – Friday 9:00AM – 3:30PM $429/2 weeks
A new offering this summer – students will learn the foundations of storytelling and will work together with teaching artists to write scenes and create a story to connect different musical theatre pieces. During this two week course, students will learn what goes into devised theatre, how to develop clear characters, and flex their creative writing muscles. This course culminates with a showcase of the work written and performed by the students and streamed for friends and family!
JUNE 14 - JULY 2
Monday – Friday 9:00AM – 3:30PM $749/3 weeks
Designed to build a strong foundation of musical theatre skills for the serious-minded artist, Musical Theatre Intensive (MTI) students focus on personal strengths and weaknesses and develop an understanding of how to succeed in auditions and beyond. This one-of-a-kind program is tailored to the needs of the individual student and features both private and group class training. Our award-winning faculty of musical theatre professionals provide guidance in acting, singing, and dancing. Students complete MTI I with a perfected audition and formal acting resume. The program culminates in a formal audition with The Phoenix Theatre Company artistic staff and a professional virtual sharing. Students that participate in this course may receive an invitation to participate in MTI II.
JULY 12 - JULY 30
Monday – Friday 9:00AM – 3:30PM $749/3 weeks
The Musical Theatre Intensive II session is for select artists who are prepared for the challenge of refining their singing, dancing, and acting skills. During the three weeks of this class, students walk through scene study, script analysis, vocal technique, private voice lessons, and dance workshops. This one-of-a-kind program is tailored to the needs of the individual student. The intensive culminates in a cabaret-style showcase on The Phoenix Theatre Company’s Mainstage.
To audition, please follow the directions below to submit a video. Your audition tape should include one monologue, one 16-32 bar cut of a musical theatre song, 4 8-counts of improved or choreographed movement. Your movement portion is to show your current level of dance instruction and can be jazz, tap, contemporary, ballet or hip-hop. Registration fees will be due upon acceptance to the program.
Video submission deadline is June 13th, notification of acceptance will be sent out June 18th.
Self-Tape Instructions for MTI II: Performance
Please follow these instructions carefully for a great self-taped audition. For additional guidance on self-tape auditions please check out the Self-Tape Audition How-Tos class in Next Stages.
• Stand in front of a plain, solid-colored wall that does not have any distracting features.
• Make sure there is good lighting, the performer must be seen clearly.
• It is essential that the camera is steady, not shaky. Use a tripod.
• No hats, sunglasses, gum or props.
• No sitting or leaning, standing only.
• The performer needs to be the only person on camera.
• Frame to a head and shoulders shot.
• Your eye focus should be slightly above the camera.
• Always have your material memorized. Understand the character, make bold choices and take risks with your taping.
Submitting Your Audition
• Your slate and performance must be contained in a single video link.
• Send your audition to firstname.lastname@example.org via an unlisted YouTube link (see instructions below).
• An unlisted video is a type of private video that can only be viewed by people you choose. An unlisted video will not appear in any of YouTube's public spaces including your channel, search results and YouTube's homepage.
Uploading An Unlisted Video
• Create or sign into your YouTube account.
• Click on the arrow next to the ‘Upload’ button at the top of the page.
• Upload the video.
• As it is uploading, choose the setting 'unlisted'. Do not chose 'public' or 'private'.
• After selecting ‘unlisted’ make sure to click the ‘save changes’ button at the bottom of the page.
To share an unlisted video, email the URL for the video to email@example.com. The subject line of the email must contain your Full Name and the words “MTI II Audition”.